It looks like Sony and Microsoft are ready to take on motion sensing capable Wii that has ruled the gaming console charts for more than 2 years. Two different reports cite that both Sony and Microsoft have prepared their variant of motion sensing solutions and will unveil at E3.
According to a source that claims to have seen the Sony prototype, the motion sensing controller will have a Wiimote like form factor and will use LEDs and a small webcam to track the controller’s movements. It is said to be more accurate than the Wiimote as the webcam will be able to detect different colors, shape as well as the angle at which the light is emitted.
On the other hand, Microsoft’s solution is expected to go a step ahead from all by bringing in motion sensing with full body control. The sensor bar supposedly houses a mic and a camera that detects all body movements and sound without any controller. I don’t know how it works or if its true, but if the rumor holds true, I can sense a tough time ahead for Wii which has majorly sold because of its unique motion sensing gaming sans graphics capbilities. These are the few things that Microsoft’s motion sensing can do:
– Full body and hand gesture control of games / characters.
– In fighting games you kick, punch, duck, dive, jump and so forth with your body.
– It also picks up small hand gestures like pinching, grabbing and scrolling.
– There will also be video conferencing and games with video.
– Trivia game over the internet with live images of each person playing. When a question pops up, they can clap to buzz in.
– You can “move objects on your screen” and the other party can see what you’re doing in real time.
– Sensor detects only the person playing, not folks observing on the couch.