According to a study presented by a 17-year-old teenager, Jay Thaker, worldâ€™s best selling music player can be hazardous to people using pacemakers. The test was carried out on 100 people (mean age was 77) equipped with pacemakers and found out that iPods caused the electromagnetic equipment in pacemakers to malfunction. The interference was detected half of the time when iPods were held near the patientâ€™s chest at a distance of not more than 2 inches. At some occasions, it interfered with the heart device at a distance of about 18 inches.
It is still unclear if all music devices pose the same problem as this test was done with iPods only.
[Reuters via TechCrunch]
Leave a Reply